Thursday, December 18, 2008
Just As I Am
One of our greatest needs is to be able to see ourselves as we really are. A correct reading of ourselves would immediately effect a change in how we see and treat others. If we are honest, we will have to declare that behind our masks we are all imperfect creatures in need of grace and mercy.
The Honest Scrap Award was given to me by Its A Southern Thang and provided me an opportunity for growth through honest introspection. The following, in accordance with the rules of acceptance, are 10 honest things about myself that are hopefully interesting. I am also required to pass the award on to 7 other bloggers. Here goes!
1. I am a huge procrastinator, either because I work best under pressure or have a fear of failure.
2. I am an obnoxious winner and notoriously sore loser whether it is bid whist, board games like monopoly, or fundraising contests in church. It often gets to the point of embarrassment to my family and now no one will play with me.
3. I have a fear of pain, sometimes to the degree that I try to control others or circumstances in order to minimize the possibility of getting hurt myself.
4. I get obsessive with new hobbies jumping in with both feet.
5. Related to #4 I have many interests and new discoveries but often don't finish what I start.
6. I sometimes sneak (steal?), tell a lie, or get downright gangsta' in order to get an extra piece of homemade cake that is made with the old southern recipes or found in Warren Brown's Cake Love.
7. Things I Used To Do, I Don't Do No More! Use your imagination. Hint: I turned in my Playa' Card and Party Hearty Pass around 1981.
8. I went from being a staunch male chauvinist to an afrafeminst. There are several faults that strong, beautiful, and intelligent wives, daughters, female professors, colleagues, or others can cure if men listen occasionally.
9. I still love to debate even when there is no issue.
10. I occasionally have tunnel vision and God often provides "teachable moments" to dislodge me from my infatuated courses of action.
I am going to bless the following with this award:
What Happened To The Old Black Church
Link: And You Call Yourself A Christian